JWM v2.2 Release Notes
This is a collection of major changes between JWM v2.1 and JWM v2.2.
You can download the lastest version of JWM here: jwm-2.3.6.tar.xz.
- Added support for _NET_SHOWING_DESKTOP, _NET_WM_ACTION_ABOVE, _NET_WM_ACTION_BELOW, _NET_WM_STATE_SKIP_PAGER, and _NET_REQUEST_FRAME_EXTENTS.
- JWM now uses xrender for image scaling
- Added native language support using GNU gettext.
- Added a fullscreen keybinding.
- Added the "-reload" command line option to force JWM to reload the menus without restarting.
- Added a width attribute to docks.
- Better tray support for multiple monitors.
- Added a tray spacer component (Spacer).
- Added support for changes in root window resolution/orientation.
- JWM now supports resizable icons for window border buttons
- Add support for SVG icons using libRSVG and Cairo.
- Added the noshade group option
- Minor changes to mouse bindings on window frames.
- Added support for the urgency hint as well as a group option, noturgent to disable it. JWM will now flash the borders of windows that set the urgency hint set unless the noturgent option is set.
- Added centered and tiled window placement group options.
- Added the iignore group option to ignore increment size hint when maximizing a window.
- Added support for gradients in trays.
- Add the constrain group option to prevent windows from moving themselves off screen.
- It is now possible to use icons of any type for title bar buttons.
- The way windows are associated with groups has changed. Now within a Group tag, if one or more Name tags is specified, a client window must match at least one to be considered part of the group. Likewise, if one or more Class tags is specified, a program must match at least one. If no tag is specified, all client windows will match.
- The name and class fields in Group tags are now treated as POSIX regular expressions.
- The number of supported window layers has been reduced to 3. Rather than a number between 0 and 12, JWM now uses above, normal, and below.
- JWM no longer allows custom window buttons. These buttons are now custom drawn to an appropriate size using X graphics primitives.
- The information in TrayButtonStyle is now inherited from TrayStyle instead of TaskListStyle. This means that tray buttons now get defaults from the tray instead of from the task list. In addition, it is now possible to specify ActiveBackground and ActiveForeground in TrayStyle. This makes it possible to set defaults for both tray buttons and task list buttons in TrayStyle.
- Dutch (by Bert)
- French (by Pierrick Pinot)
- German (by fido <L18L@puppy.forum>)
- Italian (by Man from Mars)
- Polish (by Mis Uszatek)
- Portuguese/Portugal (by Vitor Lopes)
- Russian (by Aleksandr Samusenko)
- Spanish (by Víctor Martínez)
- Fixed issues with maximize and fullscreen
- Fixed issues with input focus
- Fixed issues with mapping of windows in some applications
- Fixed some timezone issues
- Fixed an issue with docks when JWM restarts
- Windows can now be made larger than the root screen
- Set _NET_CURRENT_DESKTOP at startup
- Rendering changes to allow JWM to run in Xnest
- Fixed a bug with XML entity parsing
- Fixed bi-directional text rendering
- Performance improvements
Changes in 2.2.1 (20140302)
- JWM no longer waits for an X11 event when exiting. This fixes an issue where Control+C didn't cause JWM to exit immediately (issue #104).
- Fixed a crash if a window went away while a JWM confirm dialog was active for the window.
- Fixed some issues related to aspect ratios (issue #106).
- Fixed handling of window gravity for _NET_MOVERESIZE_WINDOW.
- Added support for XBM icons (issue #107).
- Fixed an issue with resizing of dock icons.
- Fixed an issue with command line argument parsing.
Changes in 2.2.2 (20140315)
- More efficient handling of gradient backgrounds.
- Fixed an issue _NET_WM_STATE not being updated (issue #109).
- Improved the performance of moving/resizing windows.
- Made it possible to switch desktops immediately while dragging a window if mod1 is pressed (issue #12).
- Fixed an issue with windows mapping behind other windows (issue #110).
- Fixed an issue where JWM would attempt to process the last X event multiple times before exiting or restarting.
- Made newer desktop background settings override older settings.
- Fixed a memory leak with invalid configuration files.
See the ChangeLog for a complete list of changes.
A special thanks to the Puppy Linux community for their bug reports and valuable suggestions.